Thursday, February 9, 2012

Ice Cube Addiction



       This week pretending to have a drug addiction (with ice cubes) was more difficult than I thought. Putting ice cubes in some drinks were more socially acceptable than others.( i.e. water versus tea) I believe this relates to social situations as well. People who have drug addictions tend to hang around other people with drug addictions because exposing your addiction isn't as socially unacceptable to people who also have the addiction. It was not only hard hiding the addiction, it was also hard keeping the addiction. Not being able to access ice from school made pre-planning necessary. I believe people with addictions also come to stress when their drugs are not on hand. I was able to lie to my parents when I recieved wierd looks for putting ice in my milk and tea. They noticed I was acting differently and my mom even yelled at me for taking a water bottle to school. (She didn't know it was filled with ice.) I have a cold and my mom attributed the germs to the water bottle I brought to school and told me that I shouldn't bring it again. My parents did not assume I was on drugs because I did not have obvious signs of an addiction. Ice cubes are relatively simple and do not cause nearly the amount of effects drugs can cause. I liked the experiment because it was interesting how people would hide their bracelets and how people shared and traded ice cubes like street drugs. Drugs can be categorized as depressants, stimulants, and hallucigens. I believe ice cubes would fall under the stimulant category if given one because they make drinks cold and coldness sends a wake-up call to the brain. True drug addictions can cause permanant brain damage as well as depression, anxiety, and death. After learning the effects of drugs on the brain, I believe that if I would have any addiction, ice cubes would be the best bet.

1 comment:

  1. I love the way you write and share your niche! Very interesting and different! Keep it coming! drug rehab center near me

    ReplyDelete