Friday, March 9, 2012

Memory

Memory is something that everyone wants to maintain throughout their lifetime. Growing up paretns like to play the game "Memory" with their children to enhance memory skills young. I was never very good at this game though I felt as if I tried just as hard as other kids to remember where the matches were. This week in psych I think we explained why. I learned that memory can be affected by different factors and that people have short-term and long-term memory. I learned that some memories are automatic while others are take effort. Reading for understanding takes effort as does remembering where a handful of cards in a Memory game are. I learned that immediate,  brief, recordings are stored in sensory memory which is a temporary state. We then process information into a short-term memory where we encode through rehearsal. i.e. finding a memory card twice in the same spot after a turn has passed. Information goes into our long-term memory by experiences and connections that can be processed later. However, stages can be modified. Working memory is a second stage modification that picks-and-chooses what attention is drawn to in incoming stimuli and processes what it senses. I believe my problem as a child occured between my sensory memory and my working memory. According to http://www.apa.org/monitor/sep05/workout.aspx "In fact, working memory could be the basis for general intelligence and reasoning: Those who can hold many items in their mind may be well equipped to consider different angles of a complex problem simultaneously." I do not think I had a very good working memory because I found myself getting distracted from the game and my "pick-n-choose" method did not pick up the right information and therefore my memory of where i had chosen cards and what cards I chose did not implant itself in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment